Do you know that you can save money by getting the book Sex, Politics and Society by Jeffrey Weeks in pdf version instead of buying one? We have the pdf version of the book Orphans of Islam available for free. Just click on red download button below to download Sex, Politics and Society by Jeffrey Weeks for free.
A pioneering study which has become an established classic in its field, Sex, Politics and Society provides a lucid and comprehensive analysis of the transformations of British sexual life from 1800 to the present. These changes are firmly located in the wider context of British social, political and cultural life, from industrialization, urbanisation and the impact of Empire and colonisation, through the experience of economic disruption, World Wars, the establishment of the welfare state, changing patterns of gender and the emergence of new sexual identities. This book also charts the rise of both progressive and conservative social movements, including feminism, LGBT activism, and fundamentalist movements. It is a history where the past continues to live in the present, and where the present provides ever more complex, and often controversial patterns of sexual life, with sexual and gender issues at the heart of contemporary politics.
Now fully revised and updated, this edition examines key new developments including:
- the impact of globalisation, and the digital revolution;
- gender nonconformity and the rise of transgender consciousness;
- shifting family and relational patterns, and new forms of intimacy;
- changes in reproductive technology including the debates on IVF and surrogacy;
- new discourses of equality and sexual rights for LGBT people;
- the irresistible rise of same-sex marriage;
- the weakening of the heterosexual/ homosexual binary divide and the development of new lines of concern and divisions in the politics of sexuality.
Combining rich empirical detail with innovative theoretical insights, Sex, Politics and Society remains at the cutting edge of the subject, and this fourth edition will inspire and provoke a whole new generation of readers in history, sociology, social policy and critical sexuality studies.